I've been thinking of giving myself the Live Aid DVD for Xmas; I actually held it in my hand yesterday but because I'd made the mistake of opening my bank statement earlier, put it back and walked away -- but I haven't been able to put it out of my mind since. You see, I've been curious about this event for so long...ever since that day in the summer of 1985, in fact. A pivotal moment in pop and TV history, and I missed it. Me and my then boyfriend had day tickets for the North Sea Jazz Festival, and you don't go through the trouble of booking them, looking forward to seeing so many jazz greats as were assembled in the line-up, to end up not going because some shaggy-maned Irish git chose that exact same day to organise and televise his benefit in Wembley. To be fair to the North Sea Jazz organisation, they had put up a few screens in the hallways and corridors of the venue, so that we did manage to catch the occasional glimpse of what was going on in London inbetween rushing from Oscar Peterson's to Ella Fitzgerald's to Pat Metheny's to B.B. King's concerts, but it was far from ideal. The sound was turned down, the crowd was enormous and moving constantly, and the day was a scorcher. So for years I've had to say that no, I didn't see it. And now, thanks to the wonders of modern technology and the foresight of a BBC technician, I can -- but what if, after an age of regretting the circumstances that caused me to miss it in the first place, it turns out not such a mythical 'this-you-have-got-to-see' event as I thought it was, after all?
So let's play a game while I try to make up my mind -- it's called the 20 song lyrics meme, and I've gacked it from karenbear, who undoubtedly gacked it from someone else.
The rules: Step 1:Get your playlist together, put it on random, and play Step 2:Pick your favorite lines from the first 20 songs that play Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song the lines come from Step 4: Cross out the songs when someone guesses correctly P.S: no cheating and pasting the lyrics into a search engine!!
1) There was blood on the tax report and it dripped from your nose/I was careful not to let it get all over my clothes/You see it permanently stains, yep that's how it goes
2) My whole life stretches in front of me/Reaching up like a flower/Leading my life back to the soil
3)Will you take the pain/I will give to you/Again and again/Will you return it? - Depeche Mode (as guessed by fauvistfly) 'Strangelove', guessed by bogwitch
4) Why is the bedroom so cold?/turned away on your side/Is my timing that flawed?/Our respect run so dry? - 'Love Will Tear Us Apart', guessed by bogwitch
5) She's got a mind of her own/And she use it well/Mighty fine/Well, she's one of a kind - The Rolling Stones, 'Memory Motel', guessed by binsoup
6) Your tongue is far too long/I don’t like the way it sucks and slurps upon my every word
7) Shiawase wa kumo no ueni/shiawase wa sora no ueni
8) Every time I see you falling/I get down on my knees and pray/I'm waiting for that final moment/You'll say the words that I can't say - New Order, 'Bizarre Love Triangle', guessed by fauvistfly
9) I'm a man without conviction/I'm a man who doesn't know/how to sell a contradiction - 'Karma Chameleon', guessed by bogwitch
10)Is this the MPLA?/or is this the UDA?/or is this the IRA?/I thought it was the UK - 'Anarchy in the UK', guessed by bogwitch
11)Oh, what will I be believing/and who will connect me with love?
12)And you never knew how much I really liked you/'cause I never even told you/oh and I meant to
13)My possessions are causing me suspicions but there's no proof - Crowded House, 'Don't Dream It's Over', guessed by girlwithjournal
14)He's exploring the taste of her/arousal/so accurate - Björk, 'Venus As A Boy', guessed by binsoup
15)My lover stands on golden sands/and watches the ships that go sailing - Bobby Darin (or Robbie Williams), 'Beyond the Sea', guessed by hils
16)What good's religion/When it's each other we despise?/Damn the government/Damn the killing/Damn the lies
17)Find me and follow me/through corridors, refectories and files/you must follow, leave/this academic factory - Franz Ferdinand, 'The Dark of the Matinee', guessed by bogwitch
18)These bloodless brides of Jesus/If they had just once glimpsed their groom/Then they'd know and they'd drop the stones/concealed behind their rosaries/They wilt the grass they walk upon/They leech the light out of a room
19)The Martians could land in the carpark and no one would care
20)Funny how my favorite shirt/Smells more like you than me
Good luck, and remember: I'm not the hippest chick on the block, so these aren't necessarily this year's top hits...