Which Zoological Mystery Are You?
this, and other fine quizolas was made by the chicks @ Spookbot
according to me, it's more like this:
1. My real name is Hedwig - but since all the world and his wife have been reading Harry Potter, when I meet new people, there's not many will believe this.
2. I'm the same age as JM, and just as well-preserved - well, sort of ;-)
3. I'm not one for team sports or martial arts, but I'm a dab hand at fencing, riding and archery; and I enjoy participating in my yoga class tremendously.
4. I broke my leg when I was 16, and because people told me not to be silly, I walked around on it for another day before fainting and being carted off to hospital. You'd think I'd learned my lesson, but 20-odd years later I tore all the tendons in my right inner thigh\groin area, and because I didn't want to ruin everyone else's holiday, walked around on it for another 10 days before having it seen to. It put an end to my fencing career and took a year and a half to heal.
5. I started bunking off in secondary school, mostly during PE lessons.
6. I spent 6 years at university reading history of art and archaeology, graduated with full honours, went out into the real world and lived from hand to mouth for a while; then went back to uni for a post-graduate course which took me to Leicester, England, as an exchange student. Eventually, I graduated again and have since been trying to make a living outside of academia.
7. I take sickies as often as I think I can get away with, and I don't have to be ill to take them.
8. I'm descended from an admiral who gained many victories in the Third Dutch-English War (=late 1600s). Streets and battleships are named after my ancestor, but his name rings no bells with the average modern-day Dutchman.
9. I love animals, and can't imagine my life without them. I had to nag my parents for 8 years before I was allowed to have a cat (my Dad thought he liked dogs), and I've never been without one since. I also have a thing for donkeys, but no amount of nagging has ever persuaded my parents to give in on this one.
10. Currently, I have 2 cats, who share my bed with me. I take up the middle position, a cat on either side -- heaven!
12. I met Mick Jagger once...that is to say, I bumped into him on a dance floor once. Literally. I didn't know what to say, except for a quickly mumbled 'sorry'. Two years ago, I bumped into Woody Allen in New York. I was walking my friend's dog and the leash got tangled around WA's legs. He was not amused and all I could do was mumble 'sorry' again. All this does not bode well for conversational brilliance should I ever bump into JM.
13. I have had lunch with Robin Lane-Fox (writer/historian) and pope Shenuda II (of the Coptic Church). At the same time.
14. I have also shared a glass of wine with Roy Jenkins (former Labour politician) once.
15. The figure from world history I would most like to meet, however, would be Jesus Christ.
16. I usually vote Labour, but I'm never quite sure that I will.
17. My Dad was a building contractor. He taught me to grout tiles and pour cement when I was 8. These skills came in handy when I bought my flat some years ago.
18. I live in a 1950s apartment block with what the estate agent described as 'many original features'. Basically, that means my flat is falling down around me.
19. I suck at relationships. No, really.
20. I don't share well, so it's me, myself and I most of the time. These days, anyway.
21. Which is just as well, as I've only got the one television set. My Mum gave it me as a housewarming present for my previous abode in 1989. It's minuscule, but has a remote.
22. I do not watch reality TV - actually, I don't watch very much TV at all.
23. To be honest, I have very little interest in any show apart from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and that stems wholly from a fascination with the story and the character of Spike.
24. My obsession with BtVS has led me to newsgroups, discussion forums, message boards and ultimately, LJ.
25. I do not have a computer with Internet access at home.
26. So, I spend at least an hour of every work-day reading, browsing or posting - note the 'at least'...it's usually more.
27. I love fanfic. These days, I read very little else.
28. I've been trying to write my own. I'm only hampered by a lack of imagination and any real talent for it.
29. Next year, I will meet my two bestest Buffy-buddies at a con in the NY area. I can't wait!
30. I tend not to make any decision until I've looked at the problem from every conceivable angle.
31. However, I can be extremely impulsive and decisive - esp. during shopping sprees. This tendency repeatedly leads me into hot water.
32. I used to drive a white VW Golf, until it was stolen. I then drove a red Peugeot 204 until its owner wanted it back. Now I take the commuter train into work and drive rental cars when I need wheels.
33. I was painfully shy as a child. I only found my confidence during my middle years at secondary school. I still have it, just as long as no one calls my bluff.
34. As a child, I dreamt of becoming a vet, a Mother Superior, and a knight riding in on a fine Arab charger. Instead, I ended up a classical archaeologist/art historian/architectural journalist/city planner, in an ICT environment building databases.
35. As a manager, I have a terrible problem delegating tasks.
36. I'm hopelessly unorganised. I always forget about meetings and appointments.
37. But when I do remember I'm supposed to be somewhere, I invariably turn up early. I couldn't turn up fashionably late if my life depended on it.
38. I do everything at the very last minute. I perform well under pressure. That's what I tell myself, anyway.
39. I'm drowning in footwear and that's just the way I like it.
40. I'm great at avoiding the issue. I will not willingly speak of anything controversial, esp. where it concerns my feelings.
41. I haven't been on a real date for almost 2 years.
42. My Dad makes shameless use of my lack of a life, by playing on my filial feeling in such a way that I feel obligated to visit him at least once a week and take him anywhere he wants to go.
43. But then, he's survived 2 strokes and a heart attack in recent years and has little else to look forward to.
44. I don't bother with match-making. If I can't sort out my own love life, why would I be any good at anyone else's?
45. I have never been a bridesmaid, but I have been best person twice. Both marriages have failed within 3 years.
46. Under the veneer of manners and a winning smile, lurks a furious beast with a terrible temper.
47. I'm a good listener and can usually come up with some good, solid advice - which you'd be advised to take if you want to be my friend ;-)
48. I love parties. I'll mingle and talk to anyone, but I leave with whoever I came with.
49. I like people, and other people's company; but I'm never lonely when I'm alone.
50. The older I get, the more difficulty I have maintaining my youthful figure. Also, my boobs seem to get bigger every year. This is a most annoying phenomenon.
51. It's a terrible cliché, but I do think my student days were my best years. I travelled around the world, met lots of interesting people, and didn't have to fill out any tax forms.
52. I like intricate tattoos - on other people.
53. Except for my ears, I have had no other body part pierced.
54. For most of my years in secondary school, I was firmly in the middle group, and even though I must admit to having been a bit of a swat, generally well-liked.
55. My online persona is far more exuberant than my real one, would you believe it?
56. I've got a stubborn streak and rarely give up or walk away from things. I'm also usually far too optimistic.
57. At a restaurant, I'm 10 times more likely to order fish or crustaceans than steak. Seafood is just so yummy.
58. I think of myself as being a realist. But in the deepest reaches of my convictions, I am of course, a god.
59. I used to wear my hair long, but at age 35 had it cut. Since then I've been experimenting with styles and colours.
60. I used to spend hours putting on my makeup when I was younger. Nowadays, it takes just 2 minutes.
61. I love clothes. I hate ironing.
62. My work outfit is typically casual. I have a few suits, to go jobhunting in - but I haven't jobhunted in years. I have an extensive shoe collection, and wear a different pair every day.
63. I have a mortgage, a personal loan, extended credit, and a handful of credit cards. Technically, that means I'm in debt, but I seldom let that worry me.
64. I was a beautiful baby, with big, BIG chocolate brown eyes. This led my grandmother to bestow my first nickname on me: Mata Kranjang, or 'Basket Eyes' (Malaysian). My family sometimes still call me that.
65. I'm hopeless at maths or even simple arithmatic. Numbers and me: non-mixy things.
66. I generally don't score well at IQ tests. However, in school and later university, I was universally described by my teachers in terms ranging from 'exceptionally bright' to 'brilliant'. Go figure.
67. Once, one of my math teachers made my solemn promise of dropping his class a condition of my passing.
68. My Mum once had an economics teacher of mine sacked for picking on me.
69. I was expelled from school for breaking into the science lab once. It was a stupid prank.
70. My Dad wanted me to go into law school. I took one look at the required reading material and switched to archaeology. It was one of those impulsive decisions that I've never regretted.
71. Neither of my parents went to university. I was the first and only one of my extended family to go and finish my degree.
72. My studies took me to Italy, Turkey and the Middle East. I also spent 2 years in Egypt (off and on).
73. I have no problem with being teased or insulted, but I have with being called a liar.
74. I'm a church-going Catholic. I just tend to go at irregular and lengthy intervals. When I do feel the need for religious observance, I'm not fussed about what church I attend (or synagogue, or mosque).
75. My two best friends are a Proddie vicar and an orthodox Jew. I was also, briefly, married to a Muslim.
76. As a child, I was a complete tomboy. I only had boy friends and never wore a dress except to please my Mum.
77. I was a Daddy's girl through and through, and totally uninterested in my mother.
78. Nowadays though, she and I are great friends, and spend hours on the phone discussing every possible subject under the sun.
79. I hate bicycling.
80. I'm good at research. Very good.
81. I also have an excellent memory, which is mostly visual in nature - partly from having been trained as an art historian. My first year at college was spent in the dark watching endless slideshows of every art object known to man.
82. I can spout all kinds of trivia at the drop of a hat.
83. I can quote whole scenes from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Pulp Fiction, I've seen these films so often. I can sing and quote the whole of The Sound of Music, for the same reason.
84. I'm of Dutch/Sundanese/Portuguese/Maluku descent, which makes me Eurasian.
85. I was diagnosed with Tolosa-Hunt Syndrome 12 years ago. It's known as a pseudo-tumour, and sounds worse than it is. Basically, it indicates a chronic inflammation of the optic nerve and the muscles surrounding and working the eye. The infection causes the muscles to atrophy, which causes severe double-vision (as if you're living inside an Escher drawing), effectively rendering a person functionally blind. I have had 3 episodes, and each time have had to undergo surgery to loosen, shorten and reattach the affected muscles to the eyeballs. In real life, people don't often notice; but on photographs you can see that one of my eyes appears slightly smaller than the other.
86. Between the ages of 16-18, I experimented with drugs some. Then a few of my friends died from heroine overdoses and I quit trying to find out what everyone else was raving about.
87. I am, however, addicted to caffeine. Decaf gives me headaches.
88. Only once in my life have I been throw-up-afterwards, sick-as-a-dog-for-3-days drunk. This seems to have coincided with my first sexual encounter, of which I have absolutely no memory.
89. My favourite pop artist is a toss-up between Paul Weller and David Sylvian, and has been for a decade at least. I just cannot decide which one I like best.
90. I like all kinds of music though, ranging from 12th century Hispano-Arabic music through to Gregorian chant, Ars Nova and Renaissance music to Baroque and classical music; jazz, big bands and the like. Celtic music. Not too keen on techno/house/hiphop and rap though, or country and western - unless it's bluegrass...I kinda like that.
91. My favourite song is Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto. I first heard it when I was about 3 or 4, and even though I can't understand a word of Japanese, this song never fails to make me feel good. I used to drive my Mum crazy asking her to put it on when I was little; the first thing she did when she got herself a CD-writer, was to make me a copy.
92. The first record I bought with my own money, was The Rolling Stones' Beggars' Banquet
93. I have one sister, a year younger than me.
94. I have 2 nephews (Mick & Romeo) and a niece (Soraya).
95. The stupidest and most embarrassing thing I ever did, was write someone 3 (!) love letters before realising the object of my affection wasn't responding.
96. I never panic. I was first at the scene of a horrific car crash once, and even though there were dead and wounded, with blood and screaming and torn limbs everywhere, I kept my cool and helped as much as I could. There have been more of these sudden crises, and so far every time I've found myself in such a situation, I have remained calm and taken charge. Doesn't mean I don't get to shudder and shake afterwards, though.
97. I'm insatiably curious. I want to know how things work, how they've come about, and I'm always up to speed on the office gossip.
98. I prefer a quick shower to a long soak.
99. I live near the beach, but you'll never find me there. The reason for this is that I simply cannot do dolce far niente, and stretching out on a beach towel leads to my ultimate frustration and boredom.
100. I'm a firm believer in retail therapy. I shop, therefore I am.
To give credit where it's due: I got the idea for this list from onetwomany.