Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Although we had sort of toyed with the idea of staying on in Glasgow to go and see Serenity, it had become apparent on the drive up that that wasn't really feasible. Instead, we met up with tori_x for breakfast, but couldn't find anywhere that was open at 10 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Despondent, we trooped into McDonalds for an egg McMuffin -- and there I realised I was skint. I asked the others to wait for me while I went back outside to find a cashpoint. I figured there'd be one near the station, but unfortunately the one I found was on the blink. I did spot a caff that was open for breakfast, and hurried to find another cashpoint and my friends to tell them that perhaps we needn't patronise McDonalds after all...John had joined us while I was gone, and at the news that we could get a cooked breakfast just around the corner, we relocated to the caff. The girl serving us was not the sharpest tool in the box, nor the friendliest, but we were cold and starving so we didn't mind too much. Or at all, really...After breakfast, it was time to say goodbye to John and tori_x, get our stuff and check out from the hostel, get the car and navigate our way out of Glasgow again -- which proved just as difficult as getting in the previous day. Honestly, if I never see a diverted traffic sign ever again, it'll be too soon! Poor little Nai was shattered, and fell asleep as soon as we found the motorway.

We were forced to take it easy due to roadworks and congestion, and had a few pitstops and a late lunch at the same Westmorland service station we'd stopped at on our way up, where Nai tucked into a hearty meal of pie and chips; then continued on our way down. Then we suddenly got it into our heads to stop off in Liverpool, went off the motorway at Warrington, then glancing at the map saw we still had a ways to go and turned back round again! We drove for another hour or so before stopping for a cup of tea; by then, it was already nearing half past five. We decided we'd go for a curry in Oxford, where Jo goes to college, and afterwards, we had a cup of tea at her place. We left Oxford, taking a wrong turn again, some time after 10 o'clock; then dropped Nai off at her parent's in Teddington before driving on to Church Crookham and Julia's house for a well-deserved night's rest.

The next morning saw the return of summer with glorious sunshine and 70 degrees temperatures. We walked to Tesco's to find there were no bakery items, then got back in the car and drove a few miles to a bigger supermarket, only to change our minds and treat ourselves to a delicious pub lunch and for me, as passenger, a nice pint of furry/fuzzy/furzy(?) fursty ferret. Refreshed, we went back to Julia's to check the Internets for gig reports while watching Tarka the Otter with half an eye; and then Julia drove me to Luton where I boarded a plane to take me back home to Holland and my three lovely moggies, who pointedly ignored me when I walked in the door.


Oct. 12th, 2005 09:40 pm (UTC)
It's alright. They've been smothering me in kitty love the past couple of days. ;-)
Oct. 12th, 2005 09:42 pm (UTC)
I think it's their cold shoulder punishment for not being at their beck and call.
Oct. 12th, 2005 09:47 pm (UTC)
It's typical cat behaviour. Luckily, they're not blessed with long memories!
Oct. 12th, 2005 09:49 pm (UTC)
True. Luckily my mums cat forgot about me running her tail over with a chair! Poor thing, it's still a little sore.
Oct. 12th, 2005 10:10 pm (UTC)
You did WHAT?! Poor kitty!

Thank God it wasn't an elephant...
Oct. 12th, 2005 10:53 pm (UTC)
I didn't go over the bone! Just pulled a load of hair out.