And I'm baking croissants. I haven't baked croissants, or any kind of bread, for a long time. I must be having something to smile about, although I can't imagine what it might be:
- I'm still stuck in my old job with no sign of any employment closer to home on the horizon. The problem is that The Hague, as the governmental and diplomatic capital of The Netherlands, offers very little opportunity for employment outside of these two avenues -- and all the ministeries are downsizing and/or reorging, no doubt to set a good example. This means that at the moment, it is extremely hard, if not downright impossible, to join the civil service. Only when no successful applicant can be found within the service, will they advertise outside it...and even then, it's tricky. I was getting ready to send in my letter of application and cv for a particular position the other day, when a chance encounter with my sister showed me the futility of that: as chance would have it, she'd been offered that very job that very same day, when they'd already started shortlisting outsiders for an interview -- and she accepted it.
- I still haven't given the new medical insurance stuff much thought, and if I don't get a move on within the next 2 weeks, I may lose out on a better deal than the one I'll be lumbered with.
- I keep tearing holes in my clothes, or popping buttons. I suspect this may have something to do with my expanding waistline, which in turn may have been caused by my sudden reliance on chocolate and sugared almonds.
- My LJ keeps being reverted back to read-only mode, which pisses me off no end.
- And in EastEnders, while I'm happy that Pauline Fowler's getting married again after a decade or almost of widowhood, I hate hate hate that Pat's succeeded in blackmailing Patrick into sleeping with her and that after a token protest -"I love my wife, you know"-, he can't seem to get enough of her; or that they're suddenly turning Sonia into a lezzie, just when it seemed she and Martin were getting back on track again. Ultimately, I think that's what's wrong with the soap these days: it's all about the characters' romantic entanglements, and there are no juicy or controversial storylines to get into anymore.
On the plus side, I'm going out tonight.