?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I was awakened by a loud, angry buzzing and opened my eyes to see Manasse chasing a big fat bumble-bee. I picked up a shoe (there's plenty of those lying around) and whacked it. I thought I'd killed it, but when I bent to pick it up and throw it in the bin, it obviously had some life left in it, and it stung me! I hadn't been stung since I was a child. I'd forgotten how much it hurts.

Comments

ter369
Jul. 28th, 2006 05:25 am (UTC)
Do you have an antihistamine? That might ward off any swelling or allergic reaction. Ice will help if the stung spot swells.

I got stung in the middle of the night in Helsinki. Some bee just blew into my hotel room and wandered around my big room until he decided to commit suicide and scare me. I didn't figure out why I'd woken in the middle of the night with arm pain until morning, when I saw my swollen arm and his carcass.

I'd forgotten how painful, too!
gamiila
Jul. 28th, 2006 05:34 am (UTC)
No, it's alright -- I've taken a sewing needle to my thumb and sucked out the sting; the top of my thumb's swollen a bit and it's painful bending it, but other than that, it's okay. I'm glad I'm not allergic to its poison; and that I managed to save my cat from a similar fate.
ter369
Jul. 28th, 2006 05:39 am (UTC)
It's true -- you can probably handle the sting better than the cat, with its smaller body mass.

Whew. Still, stiff thumb, ow

gamiila
Jul. 28th, 2006 05:45 am (UTC)
I once saw a cat (not mine!) stung in the mouth. It wasn't a pretty sight - poor animal just went completely berserk.

I know I tend to be slightly overprotective of my pets, but bee or wasp stings can be really dangerous to them, if they're stung on the roof of the mouth or in the gorge. So I'm glad it's me and not him ;-)