Now it's dark and the streets are alive with the sound of fireworks going off. Even if the bylaws clearly state that fireworks are only permitted between 12 and 2 am tonight, people have been disregarding them for days already. My poor cats have gone into hiding; they don't like the racket and can't wait for it to be over for another year. I'm not going out and am going to be home all alone, but I don't mind. For some reason, I just couldn't be shagged to make other arrangements like I do most years, and at least by staying home I can look after the cats, make sure they're alright.
Now for my last post in 2006, I've gacked this meme from magic_wanderer:
01. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
I don't think I did anything I'd never done before this year...
02. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I never make any new year's resolutions -- but I would like to lose some weight in 2007, if I can manage it.
03. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Someone over the road did, last night. Otherwise, no one -- but my second cousin Sharona is expecting a baby next June! ;-)
04. Did anyone close to you die?
Ben, Best Friend's brother, at the beginning of the year; and George, my cousin, towards the end.
05. What countries did you visit?
Belgium, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland -- it hasn't been a great year for travelling to far and exotic places really; but then I find that the older I get, the less I care about that sort of thing. It's about comfort, really: I feel most at home in Europe and the UK, there are no great culture shocks to deal with. No leering, groping men to dodge as in the Middle East, e.g.
06. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A job I enjoy.
07. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 25th -- O2 Wireless Festival, London. It was a glorious day; full of good friends, good music, good cheer, sunshine and an endless stream of frozen margaritas.
08. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finding renewed energy and motivation to carry on with a job I hate.
09. What was your biggest failure?
Failing to find the time to find another job.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Two brushes with sciatica, plus the usual assortment of colds and flu-like symptoms.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Without a doubt, my Creative Zen Touch mp3-player -- I certainly got the most pleasure out of that purchase.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Mick, who's changed from sullen obnoxious teenager to pleasant, responsible young adult.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Apart from Jobsworth's, no one's.
14. Where did most of your money go?
The answer to that, as always, is: fuck knows.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My trips to the UK, to meet up with anonypooh, bogwitch, freakspawn, _mysteria, tori_x, quietlychaotic, miss_fairfax, and love_by_137...oh, and meeting kathy1975 there, too...meeting up with my pre-LJ friend Carol G in Glasgow again...the CoRo tour and the two Depeche Mode gigs I went to this year, the Griffin House concert...and the unforgettable couple of days we had in the "Valley of Invention".
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
I think I'm becoming a bit of an old fart, as I never listen to the radio and rarely if ever tune in to MTV or somesuch. TOTP2 is my favourite pop music show and I will watch a rockumentary once every so often. But I don't know what song or artist hit the charts this year, and there has been no soundtrack to any particular event for me. Although I do find myself humming Snow Patrol a lot lately...
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? - about the same, I guess.
ii. thinner or fatter? - fatter. Damn.
iii. richer or poorer? - a little richer, which is why I feel alright about going ahead with the double glazing project.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercise. I wouldn't have grown this fat if I'd exercised more. Problem is, I hate exercise.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Losing my rag.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly, with family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
22. How many people did you sleep with?
23. What was your favourite TV program?
I didn't really have one. I enjoy watching Grey's Anatomy and House, but I frequently forget to tune in and generally don't think about them much. Doctor Who and Torchwood have left me decidedly underwhelmed this year, and I find myself watching my DVDs of Cold Feet and Robin of Sherwood more and more often. Plus, I've kept on following the goings-on in Albert Square. That's 21 years now, I think.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
See previous entry for booklist -- I don't know, really. It's a toss-up between Umberto Eco, Ellen Feldman and Robert Graves, I think.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Earlier this year, I would have said Goldfrapp and OK Go. Now it's Rodrigo y Gabriela.
27. What did you want and get?
My Zen Touch.
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
I didn't see that many new films this year. There were a few releases I would have liked to see, but somehow I never managed to get around to it. Ice Age 2 was the last one I saw in the cinema, I think, back in April with freakspawn.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I honestly can't remember. I think it was just a day like any other. And I'm 44 now.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Uninspired. Since I've gone up to a UK size 16 this year, I'm no longer sure of what clothes fit or suit me, and I detest anything close-fitting. So I've stuck to jeans and jumpers mostly this year, even at the height of summer...I don't think I've ever worn less feminine clothes in all my life!
32. What kept you sane?
My cats, and my Creative Zen Touch mp3-player (which is why I can't bear to be without it now).
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Richard Armitage. For not only is he a handsome bugger, but he's also from Leicester, and I have a soft spot for Leicester. I did go to uni there, after all.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
There was a general election in my country this year. That spurred me on to take a fleeting interest in some things, but on the whole, I can't say I care much for politics. Freedom of expression and the protection of civil and human rights is probably my main political interest.
35. Who did you miss?
Not who, but what: involvement, immersion in a fandom.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Griffin House...only because he's the only 'new person' I can think of having met in 2006. Having said that, he was very sweet.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:
You're stronger than you think.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life