Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Medical dilemma

The hospital called. The assistant had finally managed to speak to my orthopaedic surgeon, and pose my question regarding the omission of the removal of the exostosis in my operation plan. And it was bad news, I'm afraid.

The surgeon confessed that he had clean forgotten about it when confronted by the tremendous 'shuck' in my joint, and he doesn't feel comfortable tackling it without further investigation. He proposes we leave it for now. If I, on the other hand, insist on having both the ligament and the exostosis problems dealt with in one single operation, the procedure planned for July cannot take place, as he will need to see me, review my case and come up with a plan as to how best to remove the bony growth. And because he's going off on holiday next week, he can't do that before my scheduled surgery and we would therefore have to postpone it...until September.

But that would mean I'd have no chance of going on tour in October!

So I agreed to leave things as they were. Have I made the right choice, though? I wonder.


( 8 Speak Like A Child — Shout To The Top )
Jun. 27th, 2007 05:51 pm (UTC)
Yikes. That sounds like a tough decision, any way you do it. On the one hand, who knows how the evaluation will go later? On the other, it might mean two surgeries. *hugs* Good luck.
Jun. 27th, 2007 09:35 pm (UTC)
On the one hand, who knows how the evaluation will go later? On the other, it might mean two surgeries.

Exactly! And then to have to make that call on the spot...All I could think about was "...but I've got to be mobile again by October!" and "I've already made arrangements with work and where I'm going to recuperate...re-scheduling is going to be such a hassle!" -- and then when they said "we would have to throw the whole operating schedule around", I seized on that and said "OK, we'll keep it as it is then"...but I don't know if postponing the surgery would have made more sense from a medical as well as practical point of view.

Jun. 27th, 2007 06:37 pm (UTC)
Jun. 27th, 2007 09:39 pm (UTC)
Thanks. Oh, the be able to look into the future and see the outcome of each choice!
Jun. 28th, 2007 01:47 am (UTC)
*sigh* it's bad either way, isn't it? Unless you put it off until after October? Of course, that means another 4 months of waiting. :P Then again, having a cast on in autumn has to be more comfortable than in summer? :P
Jun. 28th, 2007 02:42 am (UTC)
Dang. Everything takes so long with doctors, doesn't it? Hard to believe he needs to see you again, but I don't really understand it all.

I'm assuming that, if he suggested it was okay to do them separately, then you probably made the right decision.
Jun. 28th, 2007 03:57 pm (UTC)
but I don't really understand it all.

That's because you came in at the end of it all. Long story short: I had a bad fall some years ago, in which I broke my ankle...but it was misdiagnosed as a bad sprain. It's healed on its own but with an excess of new bone growth (the exostosis), which causes pain and discomfort. I also half tore the ligaments in that same fall, as a result of which, the stability, strength and manoeuvreability in my ankle has become virtually non-existant -- and it would seem that the surgeon has focused on that problem to the exclusion of all else.

It is possible that by tackling the stability problem first and on its own, the exostosis will cease to give me any more trouble...and then I won't need another operation after this one. OTOH, though...

Jun. 28th, 2007 05:19 pm (UTC)
That does sound crazy - the exostosis is what's giving you pain; hard to believe he managed to forget that! I hope the stabilization does somehow help to reduce the problems caused by the bone growth, though.

(thanks for the explanation)
( 8 Speak Like A Child — Shout To The Top )


gamiila sig #2

Latest Month

March 2017
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow