Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Safe and sound

The dreaded company doctor was supposed to be calling and check on my progress an hour ago - but I've not heard from him. Typical! I lay awake worrying they might order me back to work, and then they forget about me!

The first white plaster cast came off this morning, and was replaced by a lightweight purple walking cast. Theoretically, I suppose this means I'm to try walking, but I'm not finding it easy. In fact, I'm finding it bloody painful and awkward, and am relying on my trusty crutches to get around still. I can get from the bed to the sofa, and from the sofa to the loo, but I can't manage the stairs and can't go out to get my groceries -- yet I insisted on being ferried home this afternoon. It's been lovely staying at Mum's these last two weeks, but I read all the books I'd brought with me, read most of the books on her shelves too, and missed the company of my cats and the comfort of my own bed too much to stay there for another couple of days as she suggested. I had trouble getting up the stairs, and I know I won't go down them any time soon, but I won't need to 'cause Mum's been an angel and got me enough groceries to last me a day or two before she went back to her place.

I did have a bit of a shock when the plaster came off, as this was the first chance I had to see what had been done to me. Somehow, I'd expected to see a much smaller incision -- doctors are so clever nowadays! Unfortunately though, it seems that I've been operated on by someone who doesn't believe in keyhole surgery or taking half measures, and the cut is some 10-12 cms long. Also, he won't win any prizes for needlepoint. They took out the stitches and made it bleed again, but I'm told it's all healing nicely and I'm to report back there for this new cast to be taken off on the 21st of August.

The surgery itself went well, taking little more than an hour. There was only one problem: they couldn't find where to administer the epidural, and jabbed the needle into my vertebrae a few times before they finally found a space between them. Most unpleasant, but next time I'll ask for an epidural again because I've not suffered any of the usual side effects like headache or nausea that I've experienced with the general anaesthetics I've had in earlier surgeries.

Well then, what have I missed in the time I've been away?

ETA: I think my switching phone companies earlier in the week may have had the unfortunate effect of my phone (landline) going quite DEAD. Which means the company doctor may have called after all, but failed to get through. ::sigh:: What's the use of me leaving my mobile number with their office, if they won't f***ing dial that? I'll see if I can sort it out tomorrow.


( 23 Speak Like A Child — Shout To The Top )
Jul. 24th, 2007 03:17 pm (UTC)
Congrats on getting through it!
Jul. 24th, 2007 07:03 pm (UTC)
Thank you so much. Good icon!
Jul. 24th, 2007 03:37 pm (UTC)
Glad to see you're back! And that you came through everything ok.
Jul. 24th, 2007 06:32 pm (UTC)
Glad to be back! You okay?
Jul. 24th, 2007 06:39 pm (UTC)
Yeah. Have a bunch of stuff going on that I can't talk about on here yet that has had me stressed.
Jul. 24th, 2007 07:03 pm (UTC)
In that case, I wish you all the best in dealing with it. Be lucky, eh?
Jul. 24th, 2007 06:18 pm (UTC)
Hooray! I'm glad you're doing okay, and that your Mum has been such a blessing. I hope you heal quickly!

(And that your phone situation gets fixed soon.)
Jul. 24th, 2007 06:31 pm (UTC)
Thank you, and good to see you!
Jul. 24th, 2007 06:21 pm (UTC)
Lovely to see you back.

I hope you are properly back on your feet soon.
Jul. 24th, 2007 06:30 pm (UTC)
Lovely to be back!

I hope you are properly back on your feet soon.

Amen to that!
Jul. 24th, 2007 07:10 pm (UTC)
It's good to hear that you're mostly in one piece. You'll have to train the cats you make you breakfast in bed now.
Jul. 24th, 2007 08:38 pm (UTC)
That should only take me about ooooh 2 billion years ;-)
Jul. 24th, 2007 08:05 pm (UTC)
Good to hear it all went well, I was thinking about you.
Jul. 24th, 2007 08:37 pm (UTC)
And me, you. How was Muse?
Jul. 26th, 2007 10:30 pm (UTC)
I didn't get there. I couldn't afford it really.
Jul. 25th, 2007 12:40 pm (UTC)
you picked a good time to be away I reckon .. as you cna see.. nothing happened, nothing happened at all, the needle returned to the start of the song, and we all sang along like before.


happy return to youhoo! :) how are the cats .. sulking?

Jul. 25th, 2007 12:50 pm (UTC)
No, they're not, actually. My kitties luv me and wanna be with me -- they've not left my side since I did the one-legged hopping thing through the door yesterday afternoon. Right now they're all three no more than 2 feet from me, and want to be petted constantly.

I think it's time I headed back to Mum's for a bit of space...
Jul. 25th, 2007 05:05 pm (UTC)
Good to see you again and glad you got through it!

Kitties happy to see their mama again, eh? Nothing like an attentively affectionate feline ... times three!
Jul. 25th, 2007 05:42 pm (UTC)
Thanks. Such a cute icon!
Jul. 26th, 2007 09:43 am (UTC)
Your back yay I'm glad you got through it ok, that was a quick two weeks!

You have missed nothing on my part.

Hope the pain eases quickly!!! xxx
Jul. 26th, 2007 11:20 am (UTC)
that was a quick two weeks!

Yes, it was rather, wasn't it. Hope the next few weeks pass a little more slowly, or else I'll feel as if I've had no downtime at all! ;-)
Jul. 28th, 2007 11:38 am (UTC)
Glad it all went well. Hopefully the pain will ease over time and as your body heals itself! Take care x
Jul. 28th, 2007 08:00 pm (UTC)
Thanks. It's getting better, or I'm coping better, with every passing day.
( 23 Speak Like A Child — Shout To The Top )
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow