Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry


This coming Sunday, it will have been 4 weeks since my accident. My bruises have faded, the swellings have gone down significantly, and my lip, now sporting a fresh red scar, seems to be healing well. The deep gash on my shin has also finally scabbed over, and will probably leave a scar there, too. But my teeth...oh Lord have mercy! my teeth are in a right state.

I'd knocked one out, or so I thought. I haven't found it, and so at first I assumed I'd swallowed it. But as my face started to heal, I became aware of something hard and painful stuck up my upper jaw. This morning, my dentist confirmed my suspicion: instead of the tooth having been knocked out, it's been knocked upwards.

I expected him to start making preparations to extract it from its current position. It is causing me a (minor, but still) amount of pain and discomfort (it exerts pressure on the side of my nose, which is a most uncomfortable feeling), but he's decided to leave it in and let nature take its course - eventually, he told me, "the body will dissolve and absorb it" - though it may take a while.

We also found out that the tooth he put back when I saw him last month, hadn't re-rooted itself sufficiently secure yet, and so the splint holding it in place couldn't be removed. He recommended leaving it in for another 8 weeks, then check again. So in the end, and much to my chagrin, all my dentist was able to do for me today was clean and polish my remaining teeth, which needed this attention desperately, due to the side effect of the mouthwash I've been using for the last 4 weeks: it stains the teeth a particularly nasty-looking dark brown.

But at least my palate is healing nicely and I can now open my mouth wide enough to admit an electric toothbrush, and once it's finished charging (I went and bought one especially), I'll be returning to a more conventional method of dental hygiene. The horrid mouthwash is in the bin.



( 20 Speak Like A Child — Shout To The Top )
Apr. 12th, 2012 03:19 pm (UTC)
Oh, ouch. That sounds dreadful. I'm glad you're healing, but yikes.
Apr. 12th, 2012 08:09 pm (UTC)
I'm glad to be healing, too...though I'm wondering, why can't any injury ever be straightforward, with me?
Apr. 12th, 2012 03:21 pm (UTC)
Oh, poor you - it sounds dreadful! Hope it doesn't take too long to completely heal.

As for the mouth wash, I think I've used the same one from time to time, and I agree, the stains are horrible. Last time I went to the dentist, he advised me there's an alternative which doesn't stain, but it's not available here in shops, although Amazon in the UK have a listing through one of their marketplace sellers. It's called Curasept. Haven't used it, so can't vouch for it personally, but it might be worth considering if you need to go that route again.
Apr. 12th, 2012 07:59 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to look into it if I ever need to use a mouthwash again.
Apr. 12th, 2012 10:23 pm (UTC)
Oh Hubby has some of that from his wisdom teeth surgery. I think.
Apr. 12th, 2012 06:56 pm (UTC)
Apr. 12th, 2012 08:11 pm (UTC)
Apr. 12th, 2012 07:42 pm (UTC)
If you could see the foetal ball I rolled into at the description of the tooth that went upwards, and the plans to slowly dissolve it... you would know how deeply, deeply sorry I am that you're having such a lousy time from one brief accident.

Still, good to hear about the toothbrush!
Apr. 12th, 2012 08:07 pm (UTC)
If you could see the foetal ball I rolled into

I'm sorry, I didn't mesan to squick you (or anyone else for that matter) out ;-)

Still, good to hear about the toothbrush!

I'm looking forward to stepping into the 20th century at last, on this particular front...but the manual tells me it takes 18 hours to charge the first time.
Apr. 12th, 2012 08:56 pm (UTC)
Oh - ouch! I would have thought he'd have found some way of taking it out, too - bugger!

Out of curiousity, what sort of mouthwash was it? D-d's complained that her teeth started turning brown after she had her wisdom teeth out - and I'm suddenly seeing a connection....
Apr. 12th, 2012 09:49 pm (UTC)
It's a product called Corsodyl (chlorhexidine digluconate 0,2%), manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline. Wikipedia tells me that in the UK, it's traded under the names Corsodyl and Chlorohex; so if either of these rings a bell with D-d, then the browning of her teeth could very well be down to the mouthwash she's had to use as well.

The tooth has gone right up into the jaw, and I think getting it out would involve quite a bit of surgery...If letting nature take its course will solve the problem with the least amount of pain, risk and intrusion, then I think I agree it's probably the best way forward, even if it's disappointing to know that there's no quick fix.
Apr. 12th, 2012 09:54 pm (UTC)
Yes - I'm sure she had corsodyl for a week or 10 days post-op.

I've just looked it up online and it says the discolouration can be removed with a scale and polish if it doesn't go with normal brushing - I will pass this on to her as she is very upset about it and didn't know why they were turning brown.
Apr. 12th, 2012 10:10 pm (UTC)
as she is very upset about it

I know exactly how she feels! I'm glad I've been able to help.
Apr. 12th, 2012 10:07 pm (UTC)
Oh goodness! You poor thing! Mouth and teeth injuries make me shudder ( I still remember the pain of coming off a bike and landing on my face when I was younger)

Hope it gets much better very soon
Apr. 12th, 2012 10:13 pm (UTC)
Thank you! I'm sure it'll pass and be forgotten well before I turn into a boy, which is what Mum used to tell us when we were younger.
Apr. 12th, 2012 10:27 pm (UTC)
Oh dear. That story about the tooth makes me shudder. But it's good that you are now able to brush, and I assume you are now able to eat somewhat normally?
Apr. 13th, 2012 10:42 am (UTC)
Provided I take very, very small bites (or rather, cut my food into really small pieces), I am able to chew on one side of my mouth. I have to be really careful with dinner spoons, though: they can still catch on the scar running over the vermillion zone, and hurt quite a bit.

But...I'm sure I'll be alright for dinner when you're here!
Apr. 13th, 2012 09:43 pm (UTC)
It's really soon!

Hey we're considering hauling over a box of wine to give to Darren's family - we'd post it when we get to Amsterdam. I can't make head nor tail of the Netherlands Post website (no English version, hardly surprising). Can you figure out how much that would cost us to post to the UK? It probably weight 20kg. It's something outrageous like $170 dollars to post from here, we thought it might be cheaper there, but we don't want to haul it around Europe (too expensive, and we just won't bother).
Apr. 13th, 2012 09:44 pm (UTC)
Also: What's with the cold weather? Shouldn't it be a bit warmer there by now? :( I'm going to have to bring coats and scarves and things I never thought I'd need.
Apr. 13th, 2012 10:37 pm (UTC)
I'm afraid it won't be that much cheaper sending a 20kg package from The Netherlands over to the UK: according to the postal tariff website, that would set you back a whopping E105,30 (E106,60 if you want to send it it by registered post). At the current exchange rate, that would come to 132,37 AUD. Outrageous, isn't it?

As to what clothes to pack: just make sure you've got one or two jumpers or a cardie. And a raincoat. Odds are you won't need them but it's best to be prepared.
( 20 Speak Like A Child — Shout To The Top )
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow