Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Adventures in America - pt 2

Wednesday was a scorcher. Before leaving our room, I called and made arrangements with B. (aka Fearless Leader Lush) to drop by her place later for drinks and a chat, and then we took another cab into the city. Jules had suggested going to the Bronx Zoo for the day, and so we met up there again that morning. Despite or maybe because of the heat, we had quite a relaxing outing, wandering from enclosure to enclosure where most animals lay panting in the shadows and refused to be seen and admired. The sea lions seemed about the only ones unaffected by the weather...they certainly expended a lot of energy racing each other in the water.

Too soon, Julie had to go back home again, and Cass and I took the subway downtown, where we window-shopped till we dropped...or until it was time to meet B. Who was a wonderful hostess, and instead of the short visit we'd intended, we found ourselves staying half the night. B. wasn't enthusiastic about our preferred method of getting back across to NJ, but by then, Cass had become an expert on the subway and its underpasses (I've never been able to see any rhyme or reason in the system, but it only took her a few minutes and a metromap to work out how best to travel anywhere in the city at all. The few times we ended up going the wrong way were all down to me, I'm afraid), so we were undaunted, and firm in our decision.

This time, we did manage to find the GW bus station, and got on the bus across to bridge, but at the other end found ourselves stranded on the corner of Bridge Plaza North and Lemoine Avenue, where there should have been taxis waiting. There weren't. We called for a cab, but both taxi company despatchers told us "Sorry, ladies, we have no cars available tonight". I called the desk clerk at the hotel to advise us how to get there, but he couldn't offer any alternative (walking was out of the question according to him, and his suggestion of asking a bus driver to take us up route 4 and drop us at the gas station nearby didn't take into consideration the fact that it had gone midnight and that all busses had stopped going). And so we waited. And waited. And waited some more. Luckily, it was a mild night, and a friendly doorman kept an eye on us so it didn't feel as if we were completely deserted by man and God...We resorted to calling the cab companies once every 15-20 minutes, with increasingly more desperation in our voices until finally, after two and a half hours of begging and cajoling, Cass managed to wrest the promise of a car being sent to pick us up by one of them. Twenty minutes later, we were where we wanted to be, and dropped into our beds, exhausted.



Jun. 19th, 2004 05:40 am (UTC)
Reminds me of just missing the last train at Euston. Sometimes parking nearer has it's advantages.

Poor zoo animals. They make me cry.
Jun. 20th, 2004 04:07 am (UTC)
Not a huge fan of zoos myself, but I don't mind going when the animals are well-cared for and have lots of room to move about in. And today's zoos do a lot of good work in preventing certain species to become totally extinct. Like tigers, for instance.
Jun. 20th, 2004 04:08 am (UTC)
Excuse the grammatical error there. Not quite with it this morning, I'm afraid.
Jun. 20th, 2004 04:17 am (UTC)
Never noticed. :)
Jun. 20th, 2004 04:16 am (UTC)
I know, but it's still depressing though.