Gamiila (gamiila) wrote,

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Adventures in America, pt 3

The next day was cloudy and overcast, with the odd spot of rain -- perfect for doing the museum run, we thought. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten about the Guggenheim being closed on Thursdays, so Cass had to content herself with photographing the outside and lunch in the adjacent cafe, and since we were now in the neighbourhood, I took the opportunity to drop off a note for Fran, leaving it with the doorman (I hope he delivered it).

We'd taken the stroll through Central Park crossing to the Guggenheim; now we walked down Fifth Avenue to the Met, one of those museums that's always worth a visit simply because it's so vast there's always something you haven't seen yet. It also has one of the most amazing shops, and I watched in astonishment as a young girl of school age took 5 minutes to decide between two replica Byzantine rings, finally settling for the more expensive item: $5,500. Must have been out shopping with Daddy's credit card!

Before we knew it, we had spent several hours in there, and it was getting on towards late afternoon when we exited. We went into Bergdorff and Bendel, popped into Saks for five minutes, but strangely enough, and despite the sale being on in the shoe department, I couldn't find anything to tickle my fancy and my credit cards remained unused on this occasion. I left it up to Cass where and what we would eat, and she opted for a Mexican restaurant, where the portions were once again humongous.
I wonder if the staff at these places ever comment on the fact that I send 3/4s of whatever I'm given back? When I looked around me, the natives mostly cleaned their plates...Lord knows how they did it, or where they left it -- you don't see all that many grossly overweight people in the midtown or downtown areas.

By now, we were determined to get it right going back across the bridge. This was our last night and we weren't going to go back home defeated by the transportation system. And for once, our determination payed off. We got back to our hotel at a reasonable hour, and started watching a film on television. We must have dozed off pretty shortly after, because I woke up a couple of hours later finding the telly and the lights still on and my roommate fast asleep. I turned off the electrics, and slept some more.

On our last morning, Julie came up from Connecticut bringing her son Eric with her. We said goodbye to NYC by going up in a helicopter (all 4 of us), whizzing past the Statue of Liberty -- then Julie drove us to the airport and before I knew what was happening, I found myself aboard a McDonnell Douglas bound for Amsterdam. It was at once slightly strange as well as comforting to hear the conversations around me being conducted in Dutch again, and I looked forward to coming home, being greeted or ignored by the cats, and unpacking.
Tags: holidays, new york, travel

  • Project 365 - Day 10

    Today's photo is one of myself, as having spent most of the day indoors composing an application letter to Dell, I didn't really have a chance to…

  • That wasn't half as difficult as I thought it would be

    On the advice of some of my friends, I'd been using an external keyboard since having broken several keycaps on my laptop. Although it did the trick,…

  • The state of me

    I interviewed for a position as Quality Coordinator a month ago. Two weeks ago, they let me know that I was the only candidate remaining, but that…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.