I've got a dinner date tonight, but I don't much fancy it -- someone I met while on holiday in Berlin two years ago, and that I didn't think I'd ever see again (and therefore thought it was safe to give them my number). A whole evening of desperately trying to remember how to decline German nouns, pronouns and adjectives, and getting it wrong 9 times out of 10 -- oh why can't Germans, on the whole, learn to speak English like everybody else? It'd make my social life so much more sociable...and I'm sure it would improve theirs as well!
In other news: my last NPI was a total disaster and it looks like the next, that I'm working on now, is going the same way. I should have everything ready and in place for the boffins to start building the database test environment by Friday, but I can't seem to get the bloody product lines to mind their deadlines, so it seems improbable I'm going to meet mine. Who said these people could take their holidays this summer? Thank fuck I set their deadlines early; means I've still got a month to chase them before it becomes really urgent ;-)
BTW, did I ever mention that I have this strange liking for lists, esp. the ones that pop up in LJ-land every so often and that you can adapt to reflect your own life experiences? Well, I've just found another one! I gacked it from paratti, who gacked it from essene:
Bold everything you've done. Then, at the end add five more things - three that you've done, two you wish you've done.
01. Buy everyone in the pub a drink. (Oct 24th, 1994)
02. Swim with wild dolphins.
03. Climb a mountain (Um, several)
04. Take a Ferrari for a test drive.
05. See the Pyramids at night. (Stunning, just stunning)
06. Hold a tarantula. (Bit of an anticlimax)
07. Take a candlelit bath with someone.
08. Say 'I love you' and mean it.
09. Hug a tree
10. Do a striptease.
11. Do a bungee or parachute jump.
12. Visit Paris. (Repeatedly)
13. Watch a lightning storm at sea. (Not difficult when you live on the seaside)
14. Clean behind the fridge. (But only when moving house)
15. Stay up all night long, and watch the sun rise (though not necessarily by choice).
16. Ask the/a question you've always been too embarrassed to ask.
17. See the Northern Lights. (Stunning, just stunning)
18. Go to a huge sports game - football, rugby, baseball, American football, etc.
19. Create your own masterpiece. (Every day)
20. Grow and eat your own vegetables. (As a child, I had a school allotment)
21. Touch an iceberg.
22. Have an office relationship.
23. Sleep under the stars. (And in the rain, too...)
25. Change a baby's nappy/diaper.
26. Take a trip in a hot air balloon.
27. Watch a meteor shower.
28. Get drunk on champagne. (I don't get drunk. I can get ever so slightly inebriated on occasion, but you'll never see me rat-arsed -- not on beer, not on cocktails, and certainly not on champagne)
29. Take a luxury holiday. (Bloody boring it was, too)
30. Give more than you can afford to charity. (Always)
31. Look up at the night sky through a telescope.
32. Have an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment.
33. Have a food fight.
34. Bet on a winning horse.
35. Take a sick day when you're not ill. (Doesn't everyone?)
36. Get a pet.
37. Ask a stranger out.
38. Have a snowball fight.
39. Photocopy your bottom on the office photocopier.
40. Scream as loudly as you possibly can.
41. Hold a lamb. (Kind of hard not to, when on school trips to the petting zoo)
42. Enact a favorite fantasy. (Every day when I was a kid)
43. Take a midnight skinny dip.
44. Hear the words 'I love you'.
45. Fly on Concorde.
46. Take an ice cold bath.
47. Have a meaningful conversation with a beggar.
48. See a total eclipse. (Does a partial count?)
49. Ride a roller coaster. (I'm an auntie. It comes with the territory)
50. Hit a home run.
51. Fit three weeks miraculously into three days. (Most of my working life.)
52. Dance like a fool and not care who's looking.
53. Adopt an accent for an entire day. (Hah! I've adopted one for the last 15 years or so)
54. Visit the birthplace of you ancestors.
55. Have a grand romance with costumes and everything.
56. Made up a screen-name to stalk someone.
57. Gone shopping for no reason. (You need a reason?)
58. Actually feel happy about your life, even for just a moment.
59. Just be held.
60. Have an adventure where nothing goes as planned. (Wouldn't be an adventure otherwise, would it?)
61. Kissed someone you truly wanted to kiss.
62. Went clubbing and thought to yourself "I could out-dance them if I wanted to."
63. Called your relatives by their relationship in another language.
64. Have two hard drives for your computer.
66. Visited all 50 states.
67. Love your job. (Brief flashes of love count.) (Loved my previous job)
68. Taken care of someone who was shit faced.
69. Had enough money to be truly satisfied.
70. Have amazing friends.
71. Danced with a stranger in a foreign country.
72. Swim during a formal. (Formal what?)
73. Stolen a sign. (Of course -- we were students, it was compulsory)
74. Backpacked in Europe.
75. Taken a road-trip.
76. Rock climbing.
77. Nose piercing.
78. Midnight walk on the beach. (Slept on several too.)
79. Sky diving.
80. Visit Ireland.
81. Saw what you wanted and did all it took to seize it. (Veteran of the Sales, here)
82. Fell in love then fell harder and faster from heartbreak.
83. In a restaurant, sat at a stranger's table and had lunch/dinner with them. (This is quite a common occurrence in France...)
84. Visit and/or tour Japan.
85. Bench press your own weight.
86. Stolen from your parents. (Do cookies count?)
87. Alphabetized your records.
89. Pretended to be a super hero.
90. Sang karaoke. (Last month!)
91. Made someone cry for no good reason.
92. Lounged around in bed all day.
93. Posed nude in front of a room full of strangers.
94. Dressed sexy for no reason. (Excuse me, I always dress with care...and that's sexy in itself)
95. Got it on to "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye.
96. Kissed in the rain.
97. Played in the mud.
98. Played in the rain.
99. Gone to a drive-in theater.
100. Done something you should regret, but don't regret it...
101. Visited the Great Wall of China.
102. Fell in love with a job that has nothing to do with the degree you're pursuing.
103. Discovered that someone who's not supposed to have known about your blog has discovered your blog.
104. Dropped Windows in favor of something better.
105. Started a business.
106. Fallen in love and not had your heart broken.
107. Toured ancient sites around the Mediterranean. (Toured them? I bloody helped excavate them!)
108. Taken karate.
109. Sword fought for the honor of a woman. (I used to fence competitively. So it was my own honour that was at stake)
110. Played D&D for more than 6 hours straight.
111. Got married. (Then got it annulled pretty damn quickly, too)
112. Been in a movie.
113. LARPed (Dunno what this means)
114. Loved someone you shouldn't have.
115. Kissed someone so passionately it made them dizzy.
116. Got divorced. (see under 111)
117. Had sex at the office.
118. Surprised yourself with a talent you didn't know you had.
119. Been to Macchu Picchu
120. Gone without food for 5 days. (Went without it for 10...bad breakup, eh?)
121. Got a tattoo.
122. Lived outside the U.S. (Never lived inside it)
123. Memorized a poem. (Went to school, didn't I?)
124. Successfully performed an inverted yoga pose.
125. Lived life deliberately. (Deliberately? I don't think so...I live mine emphatically, but usually without much thought or deliberation going into it).
126. Kissed a crush out of the blue.
127. Learned from my mistakes.
128. Made friends with the unlikeliest of people.
129. Told someone in no uncertain terms what you thought of them.
130. Got up one morning and decided to take a trip and then took it.
131. Made a promise and then carried through.
132. Designed a website.
133. Made a souffle.
134. Spoke at someone's funeral.
135. Been honest when it was not in your favor to do so.
136. Swanned around on a yacht. (see under 29)
137. Done the Rio Carnevale.
138. Got a diving licence.
139. Been to Tibet.
140. Been published.
141. Met someone famous. (And got the picture to prove it!)
142. Devised the Internet and e-mail protocols at work, and got them accepted as official company policy.
143. Had sex al fresco.
144. Done the Camino de Santiago, on foot or on horseback, all the way.
145. Won the lottery.